Monday, August 6, 2012

Always Be "PRAYpared"!!

"May the Lord answer you in the day of trouble; May the name of the God of Jacob defend you."
Psalm 20:1

The very first section of this Psalm is very powerful and should bring insight to our Christian life. Many times in the Bible we see Jesus talk about trials and tribulations. Christianity does not shy away from the reality of this. It is good that the Bible mentions this because many people are under the misconception that life will be perfect and there will be no more trials but that is not so. There will still be many trials and suffering that we will go through along the way, but it is good to be "PRAYpared" to meet these troubles head on.

"May the Lord answer you in the day of trouble." As much as we don't want to think about it, there will be trouble in this life and running into this trouble is something that we cannot hide from. As much as we don't want to hear it, it does not matter how and what you do to try and avoid it, it will come. When I moved here to Arizona to start a Spanish speaking ministry, I thought I was prepared. I prayed for wisdom and knowledge and provision from the Lord. As soon as I got here I was welcomed with open arms from the church, the Lord provided a job and a home. I thought I was set and gave thanks to God.  Wow, this is easy, God is Good!

In the span of two months, so many things have changed, so many troubles have come my way, the emotion of being away from my family, my home, my friends started setting in and creeping up on me. The feeling of loneliness and anxiety started creeping up. The priorities in my heart were slightly swayed and before I knew it I lost focus on why I was really here. These are things that I had not "PRAYpared" for. Trouble and trials and suffering came. So this Psalm really spoke to me today as I read it.

These series of events that have happened to me in the past two months have allowed me to see and recognize and appreciate God's help. These events have changed me in a wonderful way and see how dependent I need to be on my God. These events have been a fuel that has been feeding the fire in my heart to serve God in all the capacities and faculties that he has provided me with. It has been a hard lesson learned, a trial by fire, but I have realized that we should be motivated to prepare for these times of trouble because they are coming. There is not better way to strengthen and protect yourself than through God's provision. We must understand that trouble is here and trouble is real, but so is prayer and the promise that the Lord will answer us. Always be "PRAYpared!"


God bless,

Fonz




No comments:

Post a Comment